.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Declare independence! Don't let them do that to you!!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

To Basics 



My Nikon FE has been something of an obsession for me as of late. A clockwork fetish that whizzes, clicks and ticks. A fragile, temperamental scalpel. It's resounding archaic answer to the call of the wave of the humming and buzzing of its digital counterparts. It's been years since I shot on 35 MM film. I used to have a Ninja Turtles point and shoot that I would walk around with. That was probably my first camera, and most memories of my youth involving any preoccupation with photography are lovingly associated with it. Each print would be developed with a Ninja Turtle standing in the corner flashing an enthusiastic thumbs up. It might have been Donatello. Which seemed appropriate since he was the gadget turtle.
These are some scans from my first roll with the camera. So far the major difference between shooting on film versus digital is that I tend to take my time composing the frame, which results in fewer shots of the same scene. Since there's no review or delete function I try to make each exposure count. The delay between finishing a roll and getting the finished product is a bit daunting, especially since rolls sent to Kodak for processing can take up to 4 days! Though this waiting period can frustrate the learning process, I doubt if a one hour photo place can cut it. Maybe I'll experiment with that on the next roll.

56442513 Abd56292Bd O
56442889 Ad7D71038D O
56442617 D36Ac6Fde3 O
56442649 C7449E0C90 O
56442852 6E6F9A9331 O
56442753 52958968Bc O
56442577 861A2Fc4Ff O

Guns Under the Counter from the album "Rehearsing My Choir" by The Fiery Furnaces

By the way Rehearsing My Choir, The Fiery Furnaces latest, is a chaotically sentimental journey that you wish would never end.
Comments: Post a Comment