.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Declare independence! Don't let them do that to you!!

Friday, March 04, 2005

You Can't Always Not Get What You Don't Want 

I lost my wallet earlier this week. At first, I dismissed it as merely out of sight but within reach. Eventually, I needed it for this and that and looked for it. I looked, to no avail. The wallet was missing. Later, say... a day later, I looked around more thoroughly, cursing the drunken state I was in the last time I had seen it, while fantasies played in my internal projector or a drunken Larry flinging it at birds in the sky. I searched, and scoured, but to no avail. It was truly gone, my wallet was lost. For a brief moment I considered how we as people all have our 'papers', and if you lose em, your value and effectiveness dips ever so slightly in direct proportion to what you've misplaced. Lose enough, and you've lost it all. This event was the catalyst to a host of ontological inquiries, the likes of which one only asks themselves amidst a crisis. Not that this was truly a crisis. At most, I'd have to pay for the bus from now on (my CMU id takes care of that), I'd have to order a new debit card, and I might not be able to travel outside of the state for a while till I got a new state ID (no NY trip), which would be difficult. Nuisances, but nothing serious. The contents of the wallet weren't the issue, isn't the issue. What IS the issue is: Why do I see MOST clearly in times of crisis? AND: What will I do about it? Am I a growing/evolving life form, capable of incorporating observations and experience into meaningful adaptation? Or am I the repetition of a slightly different theme composed long ago, and played ad infinitum since?


5209334 E70Aeb7968 O

Oh, and I found my wallet.

You Can't Always Not Get What You Don't Want from the album "Down Here" by Tracy Bonham
Comments: Post a Comment